Regardless if you own a fine or handmade jewelry, there’s always a certain memory attached to every jewelry piece you wear. With this, you’d want to make sure to maintain the quality of your jewelry so you can wear them for years.
Taking care of your jewelry collection can bring lots of challenges so we’re putting together simple ways to take care of your trinkets.
- Avoid exposing your jewelry to direct sunlight as the heat can easily fade certain materials like natural materials and plastic.
- Avoid getting sweaty when wearing jewelry. Make sure to remove your jewelry before participating in strenuous activities like hiking, trail running, and mountain biking.
- Wearing jewelry when swimming is definitely a no-no. So before you take a dip into the pool or hot tub, make it a point to take off your jewelry first as the chlorine can cause serious damage — it can discolor metals and can remove the shine and polish on the surface.
- Take off your jewelry before applying bug spray and sunscreen as these substances can seep into the crevices of prongs and chains. Keep in mind that sprays and lotions can produce a film on your jewelry, thus making it look faded.
More Tips to Keep Your Jewelry from Getting Damaged
- When keeping your jewelry in your favorite jewelry boxes, always check if the case is fabric-lined as this helps keep the jewelry from getting damaged. Also, pick out a jewelry box with dividers and compartments.
- Regular cleaning of your jewelry is a must. Sweat and body oil can strip off the shine of your little trinkets so make it a habit to clean them with a soft toothbrush and warm soapy water.
- If your jewelry pieces have a loose stone, prongs and clasps, send them to your nearest jewelry shop right away. Your local jeweler will make sure your jewelry will look better and shinier.
- Sand and dirt are equally abrasive so be sure not to wear jewelry when gardening (that also means no jewelry when putting on gloves, too!) or building sandcastles.
Are you one of those people who expect that jewelry can stay perfect for years and years? If yes, then you might want to rethink that.
Let our tips above help in keeping your jewelry from getting tarnished or scratched, and in maintaining its sparkle. Remember that every piece will last for generations to come when you always make it a point to look after it.