The birthstone for July babies, ruby is considered the king of precious gems.
The name comes from rubeus, the Latin word for red. Treasured throughout history for its vitality, the strength and red fluorescence of a ruby make it ideal to create medical instruments, lasers, and watches.
Because of its red color, the vibrant ruby is said to bring love, success, heighten awareness, promote courage, wealth, and boost energy.
In ancient Hindu, many were convinced that they’ll be reborn when they present rubies to the god Krishna. The hot glowing fire within rubies were thought to boil water in Hindu folklore. In Greek legends, it has been said that the warmth of rubies could melt wax.
Warriors in ancient Burma believed that rubies made them invincible so they embedded rubies into their skin for protection in battle.
Particularly treasured in Asian countries, earlier records tell that rubies were traded in China’s North Silk Road as early as 200 BC. They were used to adorn the armor of Chinese noblemen as many thought rubies served as protection. Rubies were also buried beneath building foundations for good fortune.
Interesting Facts About Rubies:
- Indians wear rubies for astrological reasons.
- Because of its rich color and symbolism, rubies are at times selected over diamonds as an engagement ring.
- Rubies nowadays are treated to elevate their quality.
- Rubies should be worn on the left hand to attract good fortune.
- Legend tells that rubies bring positive powers when worn by its rightful owner.
How to Take Care of Your Rubies
- Since the texture of this gemstone is quite hard and particles and other substances normally accumulate on the surface, clean your ruby by applying lotion before wearing it.
- Apply a mixture of liquid soap and warm water, scrub your rubies gently with an unused toothbrush, rinse with warm water, and dry with a lint-free cloth.
- Buy the correct solution based on the type of metal used in your ruby –one that is specially developed for cleaning jewelry.
- Is your ruby ring a victim of a hard knock? Go immediately to a jewelry store and have it checked under magnification for loose stones. Also, make sure you go to a professional occasionally to guarantee the stone is placed securely in its mounting.
- Make sure you separate your rubies from other gemstones and put them in a different container or jewelry box. This will prevent scratching against softer and more easily damaged gems.
Rubies are indeed very alluring. No wonder it has worked its allure into different cultures of the world, right from history up to modern time. Additionally, a jewelry collection without ruby is like coffee without cream – they just blend well. So if you don’t own a ruby yet, don’t you think it’s time you purchase one?